Facing federal prison time? It can feel like the end of the world. However, it doesn’t have to be a permanently traumatizing experience; you can take some control by contacting an experienced prison consultant.
Working with a qualified prison consultant from Liberty Advisors LLC can help you prepare for your journey through the legal system; including trial or guilty plea, sentencing, learning to cope inside, and being prepared for re-entry upon your release.
Why Hire a Prison Consultant?
A prison consultant is a person who has experience within the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP). Liberty Advisors’ Tara Lenich worked for more than 10 years as a prosecutor before facing federal criminal charges and civil litigation herself. She uses her experience with the prison system to help you and your loved ones prepare for your sentence. Tara and her consultants will:
- Gather personal and professional background information to support your character to potentially mitigate the sentence
- Guide clients through each of the following six phases of the legal and prison systems:
- 1. Investigation and/or Target Letter
- 2. Arrest
- 3. Trial or Plea
- 4. Sentencing
- 5. Prison
- 6. Reentry
- Describe what to expect from your time as you go through the legal system, in prison & support you during your stay
- Assist with post-release issues like finding necessary resources and guiding you through your time on probation and/or home confinement and your re-entry into your new life.
Hiring a prison consultant is an excellent way to prepare yourself for the time you’ll spend incarcerated. Good consultants understand exactly what you’re going through, so they can compassionately and effectively support you as you navigate the justice system.
Prison consultants will also continue advocating for you while you’re serving your sentence. They can help you avoid common pitfalls that lawyers may not understand. Having a prison consultant on your side makes serving your sentence and returning to society less traumatizing and easier to endure.
It’s important to note that your consultant is not your legal representation. If you need to take legal action, you should talk to your attorney. Your consultant cannot take legal action for you, nor provide any legal advice, but they can advocate for you and work with your attorney to provide the most comprehensive support possible.
When Should You Hire a Prison Consultant?
You can hire a prison consultant at any time, but the best time to contact Liberty Advisors is when you first come into adversarial contact with the criminal legal system – whether that is receiving a target letter, your attorney tells you that you may be the subject of a federal investigation, or you are arrested. Prison consultants can provide help and support right away. If you need help understanding how things work, how to deal with pre-trial issues, what to expect in the courtroom, or what can be done to assist you, Tara Lenich and Liberty Advisors can help.
However, you don’t need to wait until you’ve been arrested to hire a prison consultant. You can reach out to a consultant just because you’re concerned you might be arrested, or under federal investigation. If you’ve already been through trial and are awaiting sentencing, there is still time to connect with Liberty Advisors.
Once sentenced, we can help you learn more about the specifics of what you will face in prison. Good consultants will guide you through the process of entering prison through your ultimate release, including:
- How to get your affairs in order before your time begins
- How to make the most of your time in prison
- What you may be able to do to reduce your sentence
- What to expect from your attorney and the legal system during and after your sentencing
Prison consultants can explain how the criminal legal world works – from investigation to incarceration and all the steps in between, what it means for you, and what mistakes to avoid. If you do end up having to serve time in prison, you’ll already have the resources you need to make your time easier to manage. We can assist with writing letters, making videos, provide emotional support and guidance and tell you what it is really going to be like at each step.
What to Expect from Working with a Prison Consultant
When you work with an experienced prison consultant, you should expect them to:
- Educate you about the justice system’s processes: Consultants who have spent time in prison understand how the system works. They will break down the process from your perspective so you know exactly what to expect every step of the way. They can also educate your loved ones.
- Support your defense counsel: They can help with the pre-sentence investigation and PSR drafts if asked, coordinate character references, testimonials, and other materials to help your defense counsel mitigate your sentence as much as possible.
- Explain the do’s and don’ts of federal prison: They will explain prison rules and social expectations. They’ll also tell you what not to do during or after your sentence to avoid making your sentence more difficult and explain what is expected of you in order for you to not violate the terms of your release – including home confinement, a halfway house or probation.
- Address your fears about the prison system: Most people facing a potential prison sentence have understandable concerns about what the whole process is going to be like. Your consultant will answer your questions and address your worries, fears and concerns so you know what’s realistic and what’s just media fear-mongering.
- Support your needs: They will continue to work on your behalf before, during and after your sentence. They’ll help you find the resources you need, help you communicate with your friends and family, and assist you in order to alleviate your fears and anxieties.
How to Tell If Your Prison Consultant Is Helping You
You might wonder how you can tell if your consultant is actually helping you. You can tell that they’re doing their job if:
- They communicate with you regularly
- They answer your questions promptly
- They keep you updated on their work advocating for you
- They anticipate important events like court dates, holidays, and visits and give you information about what to expect in advance
- They make you feel more confident and less fearful of your sentence
If your consultant stays in contact with you, talks to you about your concerns, and supports your emotional needs, they are helping you.
Contact Us Today
Whether you’ve just received a target letter, were arrested or are facing your sentencing date , a prison consultant can help you understand what to expect. The experts at Liberty Advisors LLC will help you with the practical, mental, emotional, social and physical aspects of facing imprisonment. Request your consultation to learn more about how we can support you during this trying time.